logging

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Aug 10 23:18:00 UTC 2004

At 05:22 AM 8/10/2004, BOG wrote:
>Greetings to all the previous logging posts,
>
>The following should answer all those questions:
>
>options {
>         directory "/path/to/log/file";

This is incorrect. It is not the path to the log file at all. This is the
location where the
configuration files reside. configuration files are relative to this directory.

>         statistics-file "logfile.name";
>         memstatistics-file "logfile.name";
>         datasize 5M;
>};
>
>logging {
>         channel specific_debug {
>                 file "logfile.name";
>                 severity debug 3;
>                 print-time yes;
>                 print-category yes;
>                 print-severity yes;
>};
>
>category default { specific_debug; };
>category update { specific_debug; };
>category packet { specific_debug; };
>category notify { specific_debug; };
>category default { specific_debug; };
>category queries { specific_debug; };
>category xfer-in { specific_debug; };
>category xfer-out { specific_debug; };
>category security { specific_debug; };
>category os { specific_debug; };
>

>Please note that /path/to/log/file should be something like:
>/etc/namedb (for UNIXish OS) and something like:
>c:\winnt\system32\dns (for WinNT systems). These are NOT absolute. You
>can pretty much place your log files anywhere. However, you will probably
>wish to keep it somewhere near your zone files. Also note that: log.file
>(noted above) should be replaced by whatever name you wish to call your
>Log File. I simply used that name so as to be easy to understand.

If you don't specify otherwise, the log file is relative to the directory
directive
specified in the options paragraph but you can put them anyway that the account
running bind can write into the directory.

Danny