bind9 and linux suse 9.1

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Aug 12 20:39:34 UTC 2004

Patrick Donckers wrote:

>I'm new in this, so i need a litel help.
>
>I woed like to use mij linuxPC as an internal DNS server Just for resolving
>the names of a private network. Some questions.
>How do I know that bind is working?

Is the "named" process running? Is it answering queries?

>If i'ts not working what are the steps to take for finding out what is
>wrong?

Looking at your logs is a good start.

Hopefully you're aware that all BIND instances need to have access to a
root zone. If you don't want it to be aware of the Internet root zone,
you'll need to either get access to an internal root zone, if one exists
on your network, or set one up yourself in your BIND instance.