Trouble with Slave-Updates

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Aug 12 23:36:19 UTC 2004

In article <cfg9vp$17si$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "André Höpner" <andre at hoepner.net> wrote:

> Hello bind-users,
>
> we have two nameservers for about 120 domains. both ar running
> bind 9.23. one is primary and one is secondary.
> after starting both servers all is running fine.
>
> after a few days, when mot of the zones expires, the secondary
> does the log-entry about expiration, but it seems, that he does not
> update the zones after that. some time later the secondary gives
> no answer about the expired zones.

According to the SOA record you posted, your slave should be refreshing
every 8 hours.  The zones should only expire if this fails consistently
every hour for a week.

> i must stop and start the primary server. that sends notifies and
> only after recieving this notifies the secondary updates the zones.

That's very strange.  If there's something preventing the slaves from
refreshing, I would expect it to happen even after restarting the master.

Are there any log messages on the slave when it tries to refresh the
zones?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA