Views configuration question.

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Aug 14 01:59:08 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I have a couple of zones that I host. The master is on a local machine and the
slave is hosted remotely. In addition I have zones that are locally hosted
slaves and the masters are hosted remotely. Both nameservers have both internal
and external views. The question is, what is the correct way to handle the
internal view of the zones for which I am a slave?

For example if I have a config file that looks something like the following:

view "rogueind" {
    match-clients { "internal";};
    recursion yes;

zone "rogueind.com" in {
        type master;
        notify yes;
        file "rogueind.com.internal.db";
        allow-transfer {
                "internal";
                };
    };

}

view "external" {
    match-clients { "any"; };
    recursion no;

    zone "rogueind.com" in {
        type master;
        notify yes;
        file "rogueind.com.db";
        allow-transfer {
                "external";
                };
    };

	zone "stnhbr.com" in {
        type slave; masters { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; };
        notify no;
        file "cache/stnhbr.com.db";
        allow-transfer { "external"; };
    };

};

What is the correct way to handle the internal view of the stnhbr.com domain?
Do I do it the way I have it above? I think this would just query the remote
nameserver but what happens if the remote is unavailable? If I add a stanza
to the internal view for the stnhbr zone I do not think the zone transfers,
notifies, etc will work properly given that the internal addresses will never
match the external addresses.

Hopefully I have explained this so that it makes sense.

Suggestions appreciated.

Regards,

Tom