DNS Nameserver's DNS/IP Change

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 17 00:20:16 UTC 2004

igloogod wrote:

>My server and my secondary DNS server is down due to hurricane
>CHarley...
>The entry at Network solutions, for my dns server
>(ns1.brainscanstudios.com), is currently pointing to 207.30.114.50.
>207.30.114.50 is a server in Orlando that may be down for a while.
>However, my DNS for the domain "brainscanstudios.com" is handled by an
>external DNS company. If I have the external company update my DNS for
>ns1.brainscanstudios.com to point to a new server (with new IP), that
>is up and running, will Network solutions update their record of the
>NS1.Brainscanstudios.com's IP to the new IP, or do I have to do that
>manually?

If NSI is your registrar, you'll have to submit a "host" record change.

>If they don't do that... the next question is why, since it is the
>same server name "NS1.brainscanstudios.com", why wouldn't they just
>update the IP for it, like DNS does?

A) They don't automatically *know* that the A-record has changed,
B) If a discrepancy is detected, i.e. between the A-record in the zone
versus the A-record in the parent zone, they can't just *assume* that
one or the other is correct. They need explicit instructions from the
domainholder.