recursive-clients queue size & clean-up

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Wed Aug 18 03:32:47 UTC 2004

> |   There is no weird traffic, maybe there was a weird spike, but it should
> |   recover. When I stop and start  service resumes, cpu drops, traffic
> |   comes back to normal rate, not almost like half rate as it was during
> |   the problem, and recursive-client queue is not overflowed.
>
> We have seen similar problems. Our current conclusion is that BIND9 is
> not very good as a recursive name server, and that it probably has bugs
> involving large cache sizes and/or high query rates. We are currently
> evaluating Nominum CNS, which so far seems to perform *much* better.
> Nominum CNS is not free, of course...
>
> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

thanks steinar for your support, ISC people seems to busy with
explaining syntax errors in named.conf then to comment a single word on
the subj :-(,

I am wondering what CNS people says about bind9 recursive capabilities,
it would be interesting to meet them, since they definitely know both,
and they have already done their homework:-)

Ladislav