DNS queries limitation by host ?

Nicolas LIENARD nlienard at fr.colt.net
Wed Aug 18 15:30:18 UTC 2004

Hi,

In my company, we use shared DNS cache for all customers. (BIND  8.3.X)

Some customers have their own dns cache and they use 'forwarders' option to
use our dns.
That's OK for us but sometimes, their dnscache floods ours (700
requests/sec) and i d like to know if it's a normal load for an only host

On our global DNS Cricket stats, in general, there are 700 requests/sec
(successed queries per second ),  and with this customer, sometimes, we
reach 1200 request/sec

I d like to know if it s possible to do restrictions by ip... for instance,
to limit 100 requests/sec for a special host/ip....

Do bind 8 do this ? Bind 9 ?

Thanks in advance,
Nicolas.