DNS, confussion!

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 20 00:10:03 UTC 2004

In article <cg2pqv$2ncl$1 at sf1.isc.org>, bikesh at despammed.com.rm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a VPN between two companies,
> companyA runs non routable IPs (172.16.1.1) for internal hosts, which
> companyB access via a internet routable NAT (1.1.1.1)
>
> How can setup a zone in companyB bind, that will  have a zone like
> host        IN A  1.1.1.1
> host2      IN A  1.1.1.2
>
> but if someone in companyB wants record for www.comapnyA.com, then the
> companyB dns will query external DNS of CompanyA.
>
> I  could create a A record in companyB dns, but there are many other
> hosts.

One way would be to use a subdomain, so that these internal addresses
are accessed via names like host.internal.companyA.com,
host2.internal.companyA.com, etc.  Do this by configuring B's DNS server
as authoritative for the internal.companyA.com zone; it will continue to
go out to the Internet for names in the regular companyA.com domain.

Another way would be to create zones for each of the internal names.
CompanyB's DNS server could contain:

zone "host.companyA.com" {
 type master;
 file "host.companyA.db";