Messages On Startup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 20 02:33:29 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin wrote:

>In article <cg3idf$1hba$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>

>>>That's why there's a configuration option.  Since BIND is usually used
>>>on Internet hosts, it's not unreasonable for the default setting to
>>>match this use.
>>>

>>"Usually"? I have 4 production nameservers serving DNS to the Internet
>>and 50+ nameservers serving the intranet.  I think most enterprise
>>customers have a similar ratio, or even more lopsided...
>>

>I'm guessing that enterprises like this amount to less than 10% of all
>organizations.  Most huge organizations with complex intranets.

An enterprise which relies on DNS for its internal infrastructure needs
at least 1 authoritative nameserver for each mission-critical location,
otherwise it's at the mercy of WAN outages. But the number of
mission-critical locations for an enterprise is almost *always* less
than the number of Internet pipes the enterprise has, and unless the
enterprise is actually in the business of selling Internet technology,
services, products, etc. they probably can't justify more than 1 or 2
nameservers per pipe. Smaller enterprises might have only 1 or 2
authoritative nameservers serving their entire intranet, but such an
enterprise often/usually outsources its Internet DNS hosting to outfits
that serve their domains on the same set of nameservers as hundreds of
other customers'. This generally holds true even for enterprises which
have a disproportionately-large Internet presence in comparison to their
size (e.g. an online-only retailer). So, for any size of enterprise, it
seems unlikely to me, except for the "Internet" class of business noted
above, that a given enterprise has more Internet nameservers than
intranet ones.