Messages On Startup

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Aug 20 06:46:59 UTC 2004

> >	And usually intranet's choose to follow the RFC's as well as
> >	that is vendors manufacture products to.  That what they list
> >	in there purchace requirements documents etc.
> >
> I've never seen strict RFC 952 compliance listed as a requirement for a
> vendor's product. In fact, many vendors use underscores in the names
> they use in examples, documentation, etc., and sometimes even hard-code
> underscored names into their products. From what I've seen, RFC 952's
> underscore restriction has been ignored for a long long time.

	Well did you bother to inform the vendors that they are
	handing out *bad* advice, got a illegal hostname.  Did
	you ask the vendor to fix the product defect?

	If I got a piece of hardware that was designed to be connected
	to a IP network and had a hard coded illegal hostname I
	would be sending it back to be repaired or to get a refund.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org