Subdomain Delegation and A record

David Price davelist at blackhole.com
Fri Aug 20 19:29:06 UTC 2004

Tim,

You can do that but the A record for test.company.com has to be provided
by the DNS server you delegated test.company.com to.

You do:
<skip a bit in the company.com DNS record...>
test IN NS testNS1
test IN NS testNS2

In testNS1 you will have:
<skip a bit in the test.company.com DNS record...>
test.company.com. IN A x.x.x.x
www.test.company.com. IN A y.y.y.y

That gives you the delegation and they can use test.company.com as an A
record. You won't be able to both delegate a domain and still control
the A record that can be associated with that domain.