Anycast...any one using it on IP4

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Aug 21 00:04:06 UTC 2004

In article <cg5dre$1l8c$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "Jay" <jay at objectcube.com>
wrote:

> Anyone using anycast on IP4 ? Is their a out sourced DNS provider I can use
> (some one like ultradns ?) for my any cast setup

We were using it in a big way when I was at Genuity.  We first started
using it for our caching DNS servers -- we told all our customers to use
4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, and 4.2.2.3 in their resolver configurations, and our
backbone routing protocol automatically sent them to the closest server
(we had lots of 4.2.2.1's, a few 4.2.2.2's, and one 4.2.2.3).  This also
allowed us to take servers offline without the users noticing, by
removing the route to that server; without this mechanism, if a 4.2.2.1
were taken out of service, users would notice a timeout before failing
over to 4.2.2.2.

We later expanded it to our authoritative servers as well.  There are at
least two each of DNSAUTH1.SYS.GTEI.NET, DNSAUTH2.SYS.GTEI.NET, and
DNSAUTH3.SYS.GTEI.NET.  So there's multiple levels of redundancy and
load sharing -- the stuff performed inherently by the DNS protocols, as
well as that provided by the anycasting.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA