Messages On Startup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 24 00:16:31 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin wrote:

>In article <cg6c75$nm3$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>

>>Hmmm, okay, I'll go tell our plant-floor folks that they can't use their
>>paint-control/milling/stamping/machining/welding/electronics-testing
>>devices any more and they'll just have to improvise somehow...
>>

>What's your problem?  Just put "check-names master ignore" in the
>options section and you'll be all set.

My only point is that a default setting of "fail" would be rather
Internet-biased and misguided. I don't see why I should have to add a
check-names statement to all of *my* internal nameservers' configs, just
because some Internet-hosting outfit(s)' internal sanity-checking
processes are so pathetic that this is the only way they can keep
underscores out of the prohibited parts of their zone data (what, are
they paying college interns to edit the zone files by hand?).

I'm all for giving people the tools to prevent bad data -- for
somebody's definition of "bad" -- from getting into the DNS database. So
make RFC 952 compliance a flag to the "named-checkzone" utility or
something like that, so the Internet folks can sanity-check the zone
data before it actually gets loaded into the nameserver and published to
the Internet. But don't penalize those of us BIND users who, for
whatever historical reasons, have names with underscores in an
environment where RFC 952 doesn't apply.

It wasn't that long ago that I finally purged all of the check-names
crap out of my internal-nameserver configs from BIND 8's fling with RFC
952 enforcement. Now it looks like I'll have to go back and re-add it
all again. Bleah.