incorrect pointer and non-authoritative issue ?

Stephen Reese sreese at prcdigital.com
Mon Aug 23 03:29:36 UTC 2004

Little bit of info, running bind 9.2.3 on redhat 7.3

$ host 66.35.133.90
90.133.35.66.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer www.neocipher.net.

We used to host the domain neocipher.net on this server but no longer do
and I would like to correct this issue. It has caused a few mail issues
also. I have be told this is a reverse dns issue. Following this is a
few zone files.

Here is our reverse 66.35.133 file:

$TTL 3h
@        IN SOA prcdigital.com. sreese.prcdigital.com. (
                        2004082100      ; serial
                        3h      ; refresh
                        1h      ; retry
                        1w      ; expire
                        1h )    ; ttk

        NS      ns1.prcdigital.com.
        NS      ns2.prcdigital.com.

90      PTR     prcdigital.com.
91      PTR     ns2.prcdigital.com.

Here is our prcdigital.com file:

$TTL 3h
@               IN SOA prcdigital.com. sreese.prcdigital.com. (
                        1       ; serial
                        3h      ; refresh
                        1h      ; retry
                        1w      ;expire
                        1h )    ; minimum

                NS      ns1.prcdigital.com.
                NS      ns2.prcdigital.com.

                MX      10 mail.prcdigital.com.

                A       66.35.133.90
localhost       A       127.0.0.1
mail            A       66.35.133.90
ns1             A       66.35.133.90
ns2             A       66.35.133.91
www             A       66.35.133.90
ftp             A       66.35.133.90

Here is the non-authoritive server issue:

$ nslookup -sil 66.35.133.90
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
90.133.35.66.in-addr.arpa       name = www.neocipher.net.

133.35.66.in-addr.arpa  nameserver = ns2.deltacom.net.
133.35.66.in-addr.arpa  nameserver = ns1.deltacom.net.
ns1.deltacom.net        internet address = 207.230.75.34
ns2.deltacom.net        internet address = 207.230.75.50

Why does our T provider show up as authoritative anwsers and our server
does not. Is it possible for our server to be an authoritiver server for
our domain?

Thanks for your time.

Stephen Reese
Systems Administrator