Is our SOA record right??

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Wed Aug 25 03:50:00 UTC 2004

Herv wrote:
> Hello, Earthlink is hosting our domain, and I've been questioning this
> for a good two weeks, and I'm not getting anywhere with them.  In the
> SOA, they have "localhost." as the primary server, but there's no A
> record for localhost, and it's not in a fully qualified domain name.
> What problems could this cause?  At times we are not getting all of
> our emails, it's very sporatic, and it may only be like 5-8 emails in
> a day, but still would like this to be fixed.  This is what I got from
> when I do a dig.

the nameserver in SOA field should be the fqdn of the master. It is very
important especially when you use dynamic updates, but I don't see it
having any impact on your mail delivery, you should be more concern
about the mx records/their reverse lookups/reachibility/mailserver rules...

Does the email bounce back, did you check what is the bounce back message?

Ladislav