caching only Bind w/override of some names

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Aug 25 22:18:55 UTC 2004

fropnorlm <fropnorlm at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have bind setup as caching-only (works correctly),
> but I want to do the following - override 2 different
> A records for an external domain:
> smtp1.attglobal.net / smtp2.attglobal.net - and point
> them to my internal sendmail server. Why? Roadwarriors.
> When they are out in the field - they will get the correct IP's
> returned by the real attglobal.com servers, but in the office
> I want to return the IP of my mailserver. This will make it a
> seamless process for them - just come in the office - plug
> in to the network - and presto - they can send mail no problem.
> I understand that I can add a zone for attglobal.net to Bind,
> but that would mean that I would have to manually update that zone
> as it changed - no fun.

> Is there any way to do this? If it matters - Bind is running chroot on
> OpenBSD.
(nice combination :-)

You may create two zones : "smtp1.attglobal.net." and "smtp2.attglobal.net."
both with a single "A" record (in addition to the SOA and NS records) The A
records should have the IP of your internal nameserver.

This will however affect your internal networks possibiyties to deliver
mail to the same 2 servers ...  A better way could be to have your road-warriors
to use a vpn to your home-net and send mail this way.

--
Peter Håkanson