logging to a pipe?

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Thu Aug 26 11:05:02 UTC 2004

> Correct. The ARM makes it crystal-clear that the reserved word "file"
> is followed by a pathname enclosed in double quotes.

Ok so far. But I need to parse the log in realtime and what's easier
than logging to a script which can select the useful entries and react
accordingly? A script can receive input continuesly but it's hard to
read only new entries of a logfile, especially when it's truncated or
renamed after a certain size. The workaround would be to log everything
to stderr so I could start named with

named 2>&1 | /var/tmp/logger.pl

But I don't know where BIND prints the stderr-output, obviously not to
stderr.

Regards
Marten