how many query support bind 9.2.4

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Sat Aug 28 05:42:08 UTC 2004

Alberto L Garcia wrote:
> we have 2  DNS bind 9.2.4rc4 in Solaris 9 and received 6382291 for hours for
> server, and server in very slow for resolver name and update zone. Each
> server have 2 processor(used 60%) and 2 GB memory . The bind 9 support all
> this query for hours?

do you mean 6382291 per hour, which is around 1772 per second. Is it
caching server or authoritative only or both? If it is both you should
really split it into two, performance will be better, security wise it
is better and availability too. Also I hope you didn't keep the default
1000 for recursive-clients queue if you have so much recursive traffic,
put at least 2 or 3 times more, if you can afford it. You should run
some log analyzers scripts to check your traffic regularly, because bind
doesn't help you much with reporting unreachable servers, or possible
flooders, you have to help it yourself. Both of them (unreachable
servers, flooders) having serious impact on a recursive server, when
handling so many requests. You will be surprised how many weird and
useless traffic you might be receiving.

ps. why you run 9.2.4rc4 i guess 9.2.3 might be better choice for you.

Ladislav