Messages On Startup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 31 01:57:37 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin wrote:

>In article <cge2go$1ub7$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>

>>Barry Margolin wrote:

>>>What's your problem?  Just put "check-names master ignore" in the
>>>options section and you'll be all set.
>>>

>>My only point is that a default setting of "fail" would be rather
>>Internet-biased and misguided.
>>

>Another point in favor of that default is that it's a safer setting.  If
>you're connecting to the Internet and don't have things configured in
>the standard way, you can cause problems for others.  So it's best to
>have the defaults correct for the interoperation cases.
>
>If the default doesn't match your needs for private use, they only
>inconvenience you, not anyone else.

I can sort of see that point, Barry, but as I've already asserted in
this thread, it's usually large organizations that host DNS,
organizations that can be expected to have hardened processes that
prevent interoperability-causing data to be loaded into any nameserver
at all. So for that small category, a conservative check-names seems
rather superfluous. I would also point out that such large organizations
have an *incentive* to be as interoperable as possible, since more
interoperability means more visitors to the site(s), more interest in
the products, more sales, more revenue, etc. So if underscores cause
interoperability problems -- and I still remain rather skeptical about
that assertion -- then those orgs are going to crack down on
underscores, and if they have any brains at all, they'll stop the
underscores in a way that doesn't involve bringing down the whole zone
(which is basically the blunt-instrument approach that "check-names
fail" takes).