Problem with Secondary systems with many zones

list3 at wwwcrazy.com list3 at wwwcrazy.com
Fri Dec 3 04:06:02 UTC 2004

Quoting phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu:

> You don't seem to run bind-9.3, you should upgrade.

You are correct, these are bind.9.2.4  but I don't believe 9.3 will fix this
(have tried 9.3 already).
It does not appear that this was ever listed as a bug even so I'm shocked that
no one else has found this problem.

The thing that I do not care about 9.3 is that the host program does multiple
lookups when you try to do a simple A record query.
It breaks all of our scripts.

> bind-9 has a statement "transfers-per-ns" which according to the "ARM-book" :
> transfers-per-ns

We are already doing that.  We have:
        transfers-per-ns 100;

The problem is not really with the transfers.  It is that Bind seems to not make
the SOA queries if the zone file already exist (when there are thousands of
zones).  And it seems like it just gets congested and doesn't get anything
accomplished (dynamic updates, SOA queries, etc).

We can see the primary name server logs and the secondary system is not sending
over anything at all.

But if the zone files are all removed, then everything works fine.