Combining DNS and NATD

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 8 05:16:12 UTC 2004

In article <cp4ulh$p87$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Bill Larson <bind9 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2004, at 11:27 AM, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>
> > bob prohaska wrote:
> >
> >> Is it possible to use a combined DNS/NATD machine to provide
> >> Internet access to hosts with registered names but no routeable
> >> IP numbers?
>
> I thought that NAT provided the mechanism to provide Internet access to
> systems with unrouteable IP addresses.  At least that is how I am
> getting out at the moment.
>
> There isn't any need for DNS in this situation.

The original poster appears to be talking about PAT (aka IP
masquerading), not NAT -- the problem he's describing implies that
there's only one public IP.  PAT supports outbound connections (and the
corresponding inbound replies), but not inbound connections (except for
the cases that port forwarding addresses).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA