Acting as stealth slave for root zone

Dave Sparro dsparro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 17:06:31 UTC 2004

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:26:42 -0500, Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <cp8091$27lb$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:
> >       It's not so much about referrals to the TLDs as is it is
> >       about all the NXDOMAIN responses.
>
> But how often do people refer to nonexistent TLDs?  They're much more
> likely to mention nonexistent 2LDs, and to reduce all that traffic you'd
> need to slave the popular TLDs.

  You'd be surprised.  I just took a 30 second snapshot on one of my
busy servers, and better than 10.5%  of the queries were for invalid
TLDs.
  On a related note, does anybody know what app might be responsible
for generation queries for names like hitbox[2].txt, hitbox[1].txt,
sextracker[1].txt, gator[1].txt, advertising[1].txt.
.txt is always in the top 5 TLDs queried for me.