Acting as stealth slave for root zone

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Dec 9 22:39:10 UTC 2004

> >> What are your thoughts as a root server operator about this as a
> >> technique to reduce the load on the roots?
> >
> >I think it would have no effect, or make things worse.  97.9% of everything
> >f-root sees is crud, or so it says at
> >
> >    http://dns.measurement-factory.com/writings/wessels-pam2003-paper.pdf
> >
> >Running a stealth slave for the root zone could make things worse if you
> >fail to turn off NOTIFY.
>
> What conditions would cause a slave to send a notify to a master?  Or do
> I misunderstand what is being said?

	Named is configured to "just work" with the following configuration.

			master -> slave -> other slaves

	This requires a slave to NOTIFY other slaves.  This is also what
	is required by RFC 1996.

	BIND 9.4 will have "notify master;" which just causes master zones
	to send out NOTIFY messages.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org