recursive queries for subdomains

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 10 00:18:27 UTC 2004

In article <cpafcn$ag5$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "saruman7" <googlegroups.100.saruman7 at spamgourmet.com> wrote:

> We are trying to setup bind so that our company's external facing dns
> servers will do recursive lookups to internal subdomains that have
> their own dns servers that are not world accessible, but we do not want
> the external dns servers to be able to do recursive lookups for other
> domains (i.e. yahoo.com, cnn.com, etc.)  Can someone tell me how to set
> up recursive lookups in this manner?

You can't.  And even if you could, it wouldn't work, because the queries
that come to your server from the outside won't have the "Recursion
Desired" flag set, so they wouldn't recurse.

The best solution I can think of is for you to configure the external
server as a slave for the internal subdomains.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA