sortlist Questions

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard at Tesco.NET
Fri Dec 10 04:42:08 UTC 2004

<URL:http://tenereillo.com./GSLBPageOfShameII.htm>

KD> a smart app(let) on the web server, which looks at the source IP
KD> [address] of the connecting client and customizes links
KD> accordingly, [...]

... will encounter the same problems, for the same reasons, as a smart
content DNS server looking at the source IP address of the querying DNS
client performing the name lookup and tailoring its response accordingly
(exactly what he described for the approach that he has discounted).  In
the DNS server case, the use of proxy DNS servers is almost certain.  In
the HTTP server case, the use of proxy HTTP servers is likely.  In both
cases, the promixity, or lack thereof, of the proxy server to the actual
client application is the major cause of the problems.

KD> This assumes, [...] if you use HTTP proxies, the proxies are local
KD> enough to the clients that the app(let) can make a good decision
KD> about how to point them to their "closest" download site.

... which isn't a good assumption.  I've seen people using proxy HTTP
servers that were in different _countries_ to themselves.