Keep "starting BIND 9.1.0" out of syslog?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Dec 11 04:01:57 UTC 2004

In article <cpda2v$1vhi$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Pete Ehlke <pde at rfc822.net>
wrote:

> On Fri Dec 10, 2004 at 13:44:04 -0800, george_jenior at yahoo.com wrote:
> >We're running BIND 9.1.0. There is a requirement to not have the BIND
> >version logged to syslog. (But they still want other messages to go to
> >syslog.)
> >
> Assuming that this 'requirement' comes from your security group, their
> priorities are severely misplaced. You're running a significantly
> outdated version of BIND will well-known and serious bugs.
>
> Update to a current version, and trust the people who can read your
> system logs.

While that may be a good idea, do you really think it will solve the
logging problem?

I expect that the reason why this message isn't affected by the logging
configuration in named.conf is because it's logged as soon as named
starts up, *before* it starts reading the configuration file.  So it
can't possibly be affected by that file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA