Lookup on Local Domain Name Returns Nothing

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Sun Dec 12 10:47:35 UTC 2004

Two things:

1 - you do not have any RR for "mynet.mine.nu" in the zone file, so Bind
returns the information you have given it. See below for proposal.

2 - You have made your own server authorative for "mynet.mine.nu", so it
has no reason to forward this query to the dyndns server, which you
expect it to do. You have told your own Bind that it has all existing
information about this zone by setting this zone "master". If you ask
from the outside you get ths:

silver:~>dig mynet.mine.nu

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> mynet.mine.nu

;; got answer:

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUERY SECTION:

;;      mynet.mine.nu, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:

mynet.mine.nu.          4H IN A         61.9.10.31

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

mine.nu.                1D IN NS        ns5.dyndns.org.

mine.nu.                1D IN NS        ns1.dyndns.org.

mine.nu.                1D IN NS        ns2.dyndns.org.

mine.nu.                1D IN NS        ns3.dyndns.org.

mine.nu.                1D IN NS        ns4.dyndns.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:

ns2.dyndns.org.         2D IN A         209.69.32.137

ns3.dyndns.org.         1D IN A         63.209.15.210

ns4.dyndns.org.         1D IN A         213.155.150.205

ns5.dyndns.org.         1D IN A         63.208.196.91

;; Total query time: 563 msec

;; FROM: silver.s-carlsen.dk to SERVER: default -- 192.168.14.254

;; WHEN: Sun Dec 12 11:38:39 2004

;; MSG SIZE  sent: 31  rcvd: 211

What exactly do you want to achieve? You must have an inside look and an
outside look and answer for yourself what address should I get for each
of these hosts on the network. Once you have this list the picture may
be clearer to you.

---------

>File: 192.168.0
>$TTL 86400
>@       IN      SOA     kayak.mynet.mine.nu. admin.mynet.mine.nu.     (
>                                1997022720 ; serial
>                                28800 ; refresh
>                                14400 ; retry
>                                3600000 ; expire
>                                86400 ; ttl
>                                )
>;
>        NS      kayak.mynet.mine.nu.

_*nn PTR mynet.mine.nu.*_

>1       PTR     router.mynet.mine.nu.
>2       PTR     lombard.mynet.mine.nu.
>5       PTR     kayak.mynet.mine.nu.
>6       PTR     g4.mynet.mine.nu.
>30      PTR     bridge.mynet.mine.nu.
>199     PTR     printer.mynet.mine.nu.
>

>File: mynet.mine.nu.zone
>$TTL 86400
>@       IN      SOA     kayak.mynet.mine.nu. admin.mynet.mine.nu.  (
>                                27 ; serial
>                                28800 ; refresh
>                                14400 ; retry
>                                3600000 ; expire
>                                86400 ; ttl
>                                )
>;
>                NS      kayak.mynet.mine.nu. ;Inet Address of name server

_*@                                  A               192.168.0.nnn
*_

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

Let HIM who has an empty INBOX send the first mail.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature