How to find all aliases of an object using nslookup ??

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Tue Dec 14 03:31:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 07:48:40PM -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Paul Bullack wrote:
>
> >Hello there,
> >
> >how can I determine ALL aliases of a DNS object using nslookup
> >(if possible, not the interactive way) only by command line.
> >
> There's no feasible way to find every instance in every zone file of a
> CNAME pointing to a particular name, just as there's no feasible way to
> find every instance of the phrase "rubber buggy bumpers" scrawled into
> every personal diary throughout the world.
>
> If you want to find all CNAMEs pointing to a particular name in
> *your*own* zones, then you could grep the zone files. Or to find all
> instances in zones for which you have zone transfer permission, do the
> zone transfers of each and look through the data.

Or you could do what I do: add PTR records in the canonical node pointing
to all the nodes with CNAME aliases.  Or even all the other nodes with
address records that belong to a multi-homed host.  I do this, and use
a directed-graph search algorithm to find all the records related to a
multihomed host given any one of them. (In a set of Perl tools I've
written.)