Problem with Secondary systems with many zones

Steven Job list3 at wwwcrazy.com
Tue Dec 14 15:13:44 UTC 2004

Quoting Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu>:

> What do you mean by "the correct SOA records"?  What SOA records does it
> request, and how are they incorrect?

Well saying "correct" was probably wrong.  It does not request the SOA records
at all.  There is no request on the master name servers and it just dies.
So we have to remove all of the zone files and restart the system.

I'm thinking this might be an OS specific thing and I might try to switch from
Redhat to something else (FreeBSD or another flavor of Linux like Gentoo).

> > I am actually shocked that Bind is not made for this volume of domains.
> But I
> > guess the root name server have very few domains.
> >
> > What is a suggested number of domains that Bind can handle?  20k?
>
> The part of my response that you snipped mentioned that we hosted over
> 30k domains.

Yes you did mention 30k domains.  I've just started to see the problem in the
20k range.