Same zone in multiple views

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Tue Dec 14 21:52:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 08:26 -0500, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <cplmd0$45s$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Fredrik Tolf <fredrik at dolda2000.com> wrote:
>
> > However, I have a couple of zones that I want to look the same in both
> > views (my IPv6 reverse zone and another zone that I'm hosting for a
> > friend). What's the best way to do that? Right now, I've put the same
> > zone declaration in both views. Is this the correct way to do it, or is
> > there another way of doing it?
>
> Yes, that's the way.

OK, nice to know, at least. =)

However, it doesn't seem to work flawlessly (or far from it, actually).
When I do a DDNS update to that zone, it doesn't update until either
after a long time, or after I restart named. I set the TTL of those RRs
top 1800, and at first I thought that might be it, but:

1. It takes far longer than half an hour for the RRs to update.
2. My other DDNS zones (that are only in one view) update immediately.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

> I think it would be nice if such things could be put outside of views,
> and automatically be inherited by all the views (analogous to the way
> global options are automatically inherited by zones that don't override
> them), but this isn't currently the case AFAIK.

That was my thought as well, but it didn't when I tried. =)