Getting hold of serial numbers

Steve Friedl steve at unixwiz.net
Thu Dec 16 01:56:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 08:44:02PM -0500, Barry Margolin wrote:
> If you ever see a difference between WHOIS and a delegation, it's either
> because you caught it during a change window (the WHOIS database has
> updated, but the changes haven't propagated to the GTLD servers) or
> something is broken in the process of feeding data from registrar to
> registry to DNS.

I believe enough people have observed exactly this broken-ness to conclude
that avoiding whois as an authoritative reference serves them well in the
general case.

Steve

--
Stephen J Friedl | Security Consultant |  UNIX Wizard  |   +1 714 544-6561
www.unixwiz.net  | Tustin, Calif. USA  | Microsoft MVP | steve at unixwiz.net