Active Directory WINS and DNS

Tim Kelley tim at it.kpt.cc
Fri Dec 17 16:09:28 UTC 2004

On Thursday 16 December 2004 14:50, mikenospam72 at hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello
>
> We've recently converted an NT4 domain to 2003 AD.  When I say
> converted, we really created a completely new forest, and just started
> migrating user machines into the new forest.
>
> BUT
>
> When we did the migration of desktops into the new AD forest, we used
> the Netbios name of the forest "CORP".  When in actuality, the DNS name
> of the forest is "CORP.COMPANY.LOCAL".
>
> My question is...Now I'm ready to kill my NT4 Wins servers.  Will my
> clients that are looking at the NETBIOS name, be completely lost until
> I change each one of them (450) to point to the FQDN?
> Any help is appreciated.  TIA!

Now you know why using fqdn's is a good best practice across the board. You're
switching name services; wins only has a short name, dns does not.  So,
consider youself to be switching name services (which you are) and all the
pain that goes with it.  You can get around things with the "search" and
"domain" arguments to your resolver, but it's best just to use fqdn's
everywhere.  It doesn't make sense to be ambiguous about names.

--