BIND configuration - superior wisdom required.

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Dec 20 21:12:53 UTC 2004

> bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 12/19/2004 03:39:48 PM:
> > Barry Margolin wrote:
> >
> > > You don't need views for this, because you shouldn't be getting any
> > > queries from anywhere other than your local network.  Simply configure
>
> > > your server as a master for your forward zone and the reverse zone for
>
> > > 10.in-addr.arpa.  Your server will answer with this information for
> your
> > > servers, and recurse out to the Internet for everything else (there's
> no
> > > need to forward to your ISP's DNS, that just adds an extra hop and
> point
> > > of failure).
> >
> > Hi Barry,
> >
> > Thanks for the pointers. I've got things working for the local network,
> > but for some reason the server won't recurse out. I wonder if you could
> > have a quick glance through my named.conf to see if you can spot any
> > glaring errors?
>
> Are there any errors in your log?
>

> > acl clients {
> >          10.0.0.0/24;
> >          "localhost";
> > };
> > options {
> >          version "";
> >          allow-transfer { none; };
> >          listen-on    { clients; };
>
> The listen-on option does not do what you think it does:
>
> The interfaces and ports that the server will answer queries from may be
> specified using the listen-on option. listen-on takes an optional port,
> and an address_match_list. The server will listen on all interfaces
> allowed by the address match list. If a port is not specified, port 53
> will be used.
> Multiple listen-on statements are allowed. For example,
> listen-on { 5.6.7.8; };
> listen-on port 1234 { !1.2.3.4; 1.2/16; };
>
> will enable the name server on port 53 for the IP address 5.6.7.8, and on
> port 1234 of an address on the machine in net 1.2 that is not 1.2.3.4.
> If no listen-on is specified, the server will listen on port 53 on all
> interfaces.
>
> If you system does not have multiple interfaces you can safely drop this
> option.  If it does, use this option to specify which interfaces the name
> daemon will listen on... An entire class C subnet is not a valid interface
> address.
>
> hth,

	Also the "localhost" and "localnets" acls are being built as
	named is checking to see whether you can listen on a interface.
	It is unwise to use them in the listen-on acl as the current
	element may or may not yet be in the acl when it is tested.

	Use "any;" instead of "localhost" or "localnets" for listen-on.