9.3.0 on FreeBSD 5.3

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Fri Dec 31 13:04:04 UTC 2004

It compiles fine and runs fine...but I noticed an odd thing.

When the MASTER DNS server boots up, it fails to send notifies
to the SLAVES:

31-Dec-2004 06:51:33.207 zone domain.com/IN/external: notify to 1.1.1.1#53:
retries exceeded

(tons of them..each referring to each of my domains or zones)

None of the slaves ever see the NOTIFY.

..here is the odd part:

If I kill off named (after boot is all done)...then launch it again,
the SLAVES now receive the NOTIFYs.

So its *only* during the boot-up sequence that I am seeing this.

Bind 9.3.0 starts in the SAME way as the OEM version that comes with
FREEBSD 5.3 with 2 exceptions.

1. I run it chrooted to /var/named
2. In rc.conf, I simply specify my new compiled binary
and launch it as such:

named_enable="YES"
named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
named_flags="-t /var/named -u named"

Anyone have ANY insight on this?

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA

This message should contain confidential and/or privileged information,
but it doesn't. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive
this for the addressee, go ahead, copy, disclose, or take any action
based on this message or any information herein that you wish, what the heck!
If you have received this message in error, please ask the sender what the
heck they were thinking about.