Configuration confusion

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 2 23:56:45 UTC 2004

I don't think there would be any point to doing that. Would anyone be
resolving names via the external view? If not, then it's a waste of time
to have multiple views.

Sure, with or without views, you could maintain an internal version of
your main domain on your nameserver, that would contain a superset of
what is hosted on your ISP's nameservers, i.e. all of the internal
entries in addition to the external ones. Basically you'd have parallel
instances of the same zone which you'd have to keep in sync with each
other. Sorry for not mentioning that option previously. Using a
subdomain is somewhat more efficient than the "split namespace"
approach, because it doesn't require double maintenance of the external
entries. One has to weigh the aesthetics of using relatively short,
consistent domain names for both internal and external resources, versus
the efficiency of avoiding or not avoiding double-maintenance.

- Kevin