b.root-servers.net

bill bmanning at karoshi.com
Tue Feb 3 13:32:22 UTC 2004

> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 01:52:34PM +0000,
>  George <news-text at georgeland.co.uk> wrote
>
> > My question is. Does it work for you ?
>
> No. It fails from many places. Nobody at ISI (home of B) seems to
> really care and not our ISP either.

	its not that we don't care, its that the problems are
	not with our direct upstream providers. it is problematic
	to encourage third parties to be interested in changing
	thier filters when the reported problem does not include
	one of their customers.

	It sounds like you have problems with one or more of your
	direct upstream providers.  You should have leverage there.

	regarding your list of affected sites;  where target IP address
	exist, we have something to work with.  reports of problems
	where data is lacking, "... it doesn't work from <area>, no IP
	available..." are worse than useless.  concrete data, names,
	contact information...  those are helpful.

	expecting all reported reachability problems to be solved
	"right now" is unrealistic when there are many parties involved.

	that said, we did run an extended period of reachability testing
	before making the public annoument. the prefix was visable from
	africa, india, australia, south america, north america, EU, central
	asia, and the pacrim ... before we asked ICANN to proceed.  Sorry
	we missed you and we are working the issues to the best of our
	ability.

--bill