NOTIFY to slave does not initiate IXFR

Symon Symon at SaltireSoftware.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 10:20:39 UTC 2004

Hope someone can help me with this one:

I have a BIND installed and running on two separate machines (on different
continents) one acting as master for all my domains and the other as slave
for all my domains. The problem I am having is when I update a zone file on
the master and issue the 'rndc reload <zone>' command. The master reloads
the zone file without any problem, an issues a notify to the slave (I see
both these actions in the syslog posted by the master). The slave then
receives the noify (again, confirmed from the syslog  posted by the slave)
but does not initiate a zone transfer. No error messages are posted in the
syslog on the master or the slave.

If I issue 'rndc refresh <zone>' on the slave then the transfer is initiated
for the zone file and completes without any errors. How can I get the slave
to initiate this zone transfer automatically on receipt of a notify from the
master?

Thanks for any help.