DNS TTLs revisited

Robert Gahl bgahl at bawcsa.org
Thu Feb 5 21:55:19 UTC 2004

At 11:51 AM 2/5/2004, David Botham wrote:

>bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 02/05/2004 02:25:15 PM:
> > My company is the holder of the domain netflame.cc
> >
> > While the TTL on the domain has been set to 24 hours, we have set an
> > individual TTL on one particular machine (ssl-hints.netflame.cc) to 30
> seconds.
> >
> > My question is this:
> >
> > Does this play well across all DNS? I haven't done this until 9.x, so I
> > don't know about version 8 or, for that matter, version 4. Is there a
> > version out there where they only take the domain value (1 day) rather
> than
> > the individual value (30 sec)?
>
>Reality is that, regardless of how you configure your zone db file, all RR
>always carry an explicit TTL.

So, then, I assume that reversing my logic would be a good thing? That is,
set the default to 30 seconds and then explicitly set each and every (but
non-applicable to this situation) IN A record to 86400 seconds, so in the
event that someone isn't seeing the individual TTL values, they are picking
the right default value (30 seconds).

Gads, this bothers me to do this :( I will, but I don't like it.

===
Bob Gahl Bicycle (Ryan Vanguard) Mobile ||     @
     ARPA/Internet: bgahl at bawcsa.org     ||  !_ \
"Sahn joong moe low ful how jee yah ching wong" - "When the
mountain has no tigers, the monkey will also declare himself
king." Chinese Proverb