Forward only some subdomains?

Kyng Chaos wkyng at ccchhhaaarrrttteeerrr.nnneeettt
Sat Feb 7 01:08:56 UTC 2004

> >It is set up to
> > forward all queries except for our domain name.
>
> Probably a bad idea if the name servers to which you forward go away,
> change IP, etc...
>

> > Before, we checked and sent our mail with our ISP's domain name
> > (pop.chartermi.net, smtp.chartermi.net), but now they want us to use
> > pop.ourdomain.com and smtp.ourdoamin.com.  Since our internal DNS
> > catches all ourdomain.com queries, we can't get an IP for pop. and smtp.
>

> I am not sure what you mean by "can't get"???

I mean, a query inside the firewall for pop or smtp will return no
domain found.

>Anyway, put to RR's into
> your internal zone, one for pop... and the other for smtp... each with the
> IP address of the pop and smtp servers respectively (or the same IP if
> both service run on the same box).

that's what I'm doing now.  It just doesn't seem right, since they may
change their mail server IPs, and I would have to keep an eye on that
and change the internal zone whenever that happens.

> > So, is there a way to forward certain subdomain queries and catch all
> > others?  Bind 9.2.2
> >
> > Currently the named.conf looks like:
> >
> > options {
> >     directory "/var/named";
> >     allow-transfer {none;};
> >     recursion true;
> >     notify no;
> >     forward first;
> >     forwarders {
> >             24.196.64.39;
> >             24.196.64.40;
> >         };
>
> Don't forward unless you have to.  Let your name server use a normal
> resolution process to get the answers it needs.

Hm, I got this from some examples somewhere (I forget) some years ago -
for a private intranet DNS behind a firewall.  I recently updated it a
bit after going thru the OReilly DNS books, but the whole DNS thing
still gives me headaches.

IS there a way to do this then? - handling only PART of a domain?

Maybe I should just get the mail server going - I've been thinking about
it.  Save us some $$$ - Charter likes to charge for every little thing.
:)  Their mail service kinda sucks too.

- WoK

--
Don't Panic.