Some ISPs can't resolve some of my domains some of the time

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 11 17:04:29 UTC 2004

In article <c0dloe$86a$1 at sf1.isc.org>, phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > In article <c0ckn4$2jqp$1 at sf1.isc.org>, phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:
>
> >> You might find that this group deals with bind, the standards-conformant
> >> dns-server. Your issues with a propetary dns-munger is best dealth with
> >> your vendor.
>
> > If his problem is with the data he's putting into the zone, does it
> > really matter what brand of software he's using?
>
> That is a big *IF*

Another poster had already explained the problem, so it wasn't much of
an IF.

> If on the other hand the problems are from the MS implementation
> the sooner he turns to his vendor the sooner he will have the problems
> resolved.

Since he told us the domain in his original message, all you had to do
was a couple of queries to see if the server is answering properly.

And AFAIK, there aren't many eggregious problems with MS's DNS server.
There are some issues related to things like Active Directory, but as a
basic DNS server it works OK.  It's no worse than many of the old
releases of BIND that are still in use all over the Internet.

BTW, IIRC, his original message said he was using Windows 2000, but
didn't actually specify what DNS software he was using.  So for all we
know he's using the Windows port of BIND, not Microsoft's DNS, unless
you did a version.bind query before responding.>

> > To the OP: General DNS questions can be posted in
> > comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains, and then you won't get useless responses
> > like the above.
>
> I'm useless these days :-)

Only when you shoot from the hip before doing a miniscule amount of
checking.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA