Running nameserver on dynamic IP...possible?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 11 22:32:51 UTC 2004

In article <c0dqj9$bms$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Steve Dondley" <stevedondley at comcast.net> wrote:

> Let's say I register a domain at a dynamic IP service.  Will this make it
> possible to run a DNS nameserver under that domain name on my home cable
> modem connection with a dynamic IP address?  Has anyone out there
> accomplished this?  Seems like it should work but I'm new to DNS and
> wondering if there might be some reason why it couldn't.

It should work, but you probably won't be able to register it for use as
a server for a registered second-level domain.  Most domain registrars
require you to include the IP address when you register a server
hostname, so that they can create glue records if necessary.  If the IP
is dynamic, you can't register it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA