NS TTL Discrepancy??

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Tue Feb 17 17:46:28 UTC 2004

On Sunday 15 February 2004 06:44 pm, R. Scott Perry wrote:

> It seems that the real problem is with NS A records that have a TTL
> that differs from the NS records.  But, if there is a NS TTL
> discrepancy, there is likely a TTL difference between the NS record
> and the NS's A record.

Are you writing that if my NS records and A records for ns1.exmaple.com
have the same TTL I'm okay in spite of what dnsreport says?

Or am I "stuck" with using 172800 for nameservers even just before the
very occasional move of a nameserver to a different IP#?

I changed my nameservers' TTLs down to 600 a few months ago before a
move and didn't ever move them back <frown>.

I'm going to change them back to 172800 now that this thread has brought
the problem to my attention (yes; I agree I was rude to leave them that
way, but I thought I should move them before a move, to expect fastest
resolution afterwards).

I'll change both the A and NS record TTLs, as it looks like you're
saying that's the problem.

> Again, this appears to be a recently discovered issue, and delves
> into the depths of DNS that few people venture into, so there isn't
> much information about it yet.

I hope that once the issue is better understood someone will post a
complete explanation here.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation