question about caching & bind

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 18 21:57:07 UTC 2004

In article <c108jf$273c$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 joe <bonggo at nospam.rocketmail.com> wrote:

> I appreciate your reply, although the "toy-operating systems" comment
> was really unnecessary. It happens, servers get re-booted, its a fact
> of life, but I still manage to sleep at night. I realize keeping the
> server up is the main goal, however my question still stands. Can I
> re-prime the cache as explained or is this is wasted effort.

Unless the reboots happen frequently, it's probably not worthwhile
designing your server architecture to deal with this.  Will anyone
really notice an extra second of delay that only happens once every few
months?

The fact that you asked the question suggested that frequent reboots
*is* a problem for you, implying that you're using an unreliable (i.e.
"toy") OS on important servers.  You'll get much more bang for your buck
by improving general reliability than by trying to design workarounds
for the problem.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA