Setting up a private TLD

Jim McAtee jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com
Sat Feb 21 23:46:55 UTC 2004

Can anyone give me pointers on how to set up a private TLD in BIND?

I've got a small Windows network that I'm having a problem on and I think
that if I can set up the TLD on my BIND servers it may fix it.  The problem
is that I'm having occasional difficulty authenticating users against the
domain controller.  I'm thinking that this could be because the two member
servers try to use their local BIND servers to resolve host names in
"mydomain.pri".  The BIND servers don't permit outside recursive queries, but
do permit them from the local network, for instance when the SMTP server
needs to look up MX records.

The network looks something like the following.

Machine A
 - Windows 2000 domain controller
 - Windows domain name "mydomain.pri"
 - running Win2k DNS for mydomain.pri
 - NIC 1: public IP address x.y.z.1
 - NIC 2: private IP address 192.168.0.1

Machine B
 - Windows 2000 member server
 - Email server
 - running BIND 9 as master authoritative server for 200 zones
 - NIC 1: public IP address x.y.z.2
 - NIC 2: private IP address 192.168.0.2

Machine C
 - Windows 2000 member server