Putting zones is Mysql database

tl none at none.invalid.easynews.com
Sun Feb 22 16:45:25 UTC 2004

Vishal <vishal at netsolutionsindia.net> wrote:
>I m on a Solaris/Redhat/Cobalt box with Bind , I have been adding the zone
>file entries Manually in named.conf and the zones in /usr/dns/, Since my
>domain list is growing, I m looking for a Automated process of doing this in
>a more secure and safe way.
>
>What i want is that all the zones files (existing) should come from a Mysql
>database, so that i'll write in a script that will add a Entry in a
>named.conf file and also insert it in a mysql database. same goes while
>retrieving the zones.

BIND DLZ[1] does essentially that, except that it also allows you to
have the zone configuration in the database... It supports a large
number of databases, including MySQL. It's a patch set against BIND 9.

If you want performance (IE large number of lookups) you might need to
use either use Berkely DB with it, or use normal BIND instead.

It's listed as Development Status: 5 - Production/Stable, and there
seems to be some development and forum activity, which is a good sign.

1. http://bind-dlz.sourceforge.net/