Forwarding Problem

Chin, Kenneth (HBO) Kenneth.Chin at hbo.com
Sun Feb 22 03:56:45 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am migrating from BIND 8.1.2 on Sun Solaris 8 to BIND 8.3.3 on Sun Solaris
9 and now the forwarding does not work.  I have a DNS server inside a
firewall that manages the systems inside the firewall.  On the outside of
the firewall, a separate DNS server manages the systems outside the
firewall.  A system inside the firewall can do an nslookup for a system
outside the firewall on BIND 8.1.2 successfully, but now that fails under
BIND 8.3.3.  The DNS on the inside of the firewall sees that the address is
not in its list and is supposed to forward it to the system outside the
firewall for resolution.  The systems are all within the same domain
(abc.com).  I have looked at views under BIND 9.x but it won't help my
situation,

Here is the named.conf file:

options

{

        directory "/var/named";

        forwarders { 182.9.200.1; 191.9.200.211; };

        forward only;

};

zone "abc.com" in

{

        type master;

        file "db.abc";

};

zone "11.182.in-addr.arpa" in

{

        type master;

        file "abc.rev";

};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in

{

        type master;

        file "named.local";

};

zone "." in

{

        type hint;

        file "named.ca";

};

Here is the db.abc file:

; Start of Authority Record

$TTL 86400

@                     IN      SOA     insidedns.abc.com.
root.insidedns.abc.com. (

                        1000            ; Serial

                        10800           ; Refresh 3 hours

                        3600            ; Retry   1 hour

                        720000          ; Expire  200 hours

                        86400)          ; Minimum 24 hours

; Name Servers

                        NS      insidedns.abc.com.

; Addresses

localhost               A       127.0.0.1

test01                  A       182.11.1.101

If I do an nslookup, it fails with this error:

# nslookup testsystem

Server:  localhost

Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find testsystem: Non-existent host/domain

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ken

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the addressees.  Any copying, forwarding, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons other than the addressees is not authorized.  This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by return e-mail (including the original message in your reply) and then delete and discard all copies of the e-mail.  Thank you.