Shouldn't a DNS and ReDNS lookup match?

Chip Mefford cpm at well.com
Mon Feb 23 19:36:05 UTC 2004

Dagwood Bumstead wrote:
> I have a situation where a mail from our host is being refused by
> another mail host.

You could ask the postmaster of the mail host in question to
place an allow in their access.db (assuming they are running
sendmail). This won't solve the overall problem.

> When running a DNS against our host name, the IP is returned
> correctly. But when running a reverse DNS for the IP address, our
> uplink provider is returning a completely different host name ending
> with their domain name instead of ours.
>
> They have said they can't change it.

Nonsense.
Of course they can.

Ask them to please have a look at
RFC 2317 - Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation

They can access it at http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2317.html
in case they are also clueless about rfcs.

> Isn't this an error in their system that they have to change?

Yes.