Help needed about solving a DNS problem.

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Tue Feb 24 02:02:09 UTC 2004

nima wrote:
> Helle al !
> I'm new to this group, I never had any problems with my DNS before...
> So, I own some domain names, registered with gandi.net and hosted by
> myself on my server. The primary DNS is on my server using Bind 9 and
> the secondary is gandi's DNS.
> I moved my server last week to a new ISP, and do my IP changed.
> The DNS where changed to reflect this new IP. But some domain names are
> sometimes accessible and sometime not. How is it possible ? If the bind

did you plan it well, changing ip addresses of the dns servers, or
generally ip addresses in dns takes time, did you consider lowering your
ttl on the old ns records before you replaced them, or did you consider
running all the name servers on new and old ip address both for TTL time
in parallel ?

just moving from one ip to another ip definitely you will have problems,
since some of the servers around the world migh have been caching your
old setup for your chosen TTL time, and they will not come back to
refresh it till TTL expire.

Ladislav