Weird Occurance

tnaves at linkwest.net tnaves at linkwest.net
Wed Feb 25 17:38:59 UTC 2004

I have set up two dns servers on Redhat using BIND 9.  My network is
behind a firewall.  I have a named.cache file.  When a name cannot be
resolved from the local database, it uses the hints file to go to th root
servers and the name is resolved.

A strange thing happened day before yesterday.  Suddenly I could not
resolve some names e.g., google.com, while other names e.g., hp.com wold
resolve just find.  Then, after an hour or so, everything started working
again.  The ttl on my servers is set to 86400 as is the negative caching
ttl.

Could this have been due to caching some bad names?  Is there a way to see
what is in cache?

Thanks,

Tom Naves