Reduce memory use of BIND 9.2.x?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 26 23:15:40 UTC 2004

Spam Averse wrote:

>Can anyone provide suggestions for how to reduce the amount of memory used
>by BIND v9.2.x?
>
>Yes, I know that RAM is cheap, but this box is already maxed-out, and my
>memory contraints aren't extreme enough to replace the machine altogether.
>
>I'm wondering if there are particular config options that may increase the
>size of BIND's runtime footprint.

Well, you realize it's going to be a tradeoff, right? You don't get
something for nothing. You could tune some combination of max-cache-size
and/or max-cache-ttl/max-ncache-ttl/cleaning-interval to reduce the
memory footprint, but it would trade off against CPU usage, network
usage and/or query latency.